Good morning + happy Friday Eve!
Who is ready for the weekend? I know I am! I plan to have a very low-key one with another trip to the farmer’s market and a photoshoot with Lauren! More details coming soon!
I also plan to stay strict paleo. Week two of my Fall paleo challenge didn’t go as well as week one because I went a little wild on my birthday. Nevertheless, I’ve seen progress! Here’s a look at my food diary… #nojudging
Day 8: Fried egg, hamburger patty, salsa, and watermelon. Costco kale salad with evoo, apple cider vinegar and an avocado blended for dressing- so yummy! More watermelon. CrossFit. Banana + Larabar. Chipotle double meat (steak) salad bowl with veggies, salsa, lettuce, and guac.
I teleworked and loved being able to make an elaborate breakfast! Having a stove, microwave, and full kitchen make a huge difference on this diet.
Day 9: Coconut chai tea, watermelon, 3 hard boiled eggs + bacon. A Larabar + salad club salad. I worked out at work with my trainer. Ate an orange and a banana, then went to Ted’s Montana Grill for dinner! I ordered the 8 ounce steak, sweet potato, and sliced tomatoes. I had two more glasses of wine than allowed! -4
I was getting pretty annoyed with black coffee so I switched to coconut chai tea in the morning- it’s delicious! I especially love the way it smells! (Weird?) Anyway, I’ve only had it plain but I bet it’d be good with coconut milk (Karyle’s idea)!
Day 10: Cabbage and grassfed burger- I tried the whole lunch for breakfast thing, didn’t like it. Then ate a banana and larabar. Had a salad club salad for lunch, then headed to California Pizza Kitchen for an office happy hour. I had one glass of red wine, but it totally got to me because next thing you know, I’m ordering a salad with feta cheese and the dressing! -5.
This is when I started to feel like, “Hey it’s my birthday! I will eat what I want!” Lol.
Day 11- My Birthday: Started the morning with CrossFit. Then it was one cheat after another! I had a chai tea latte from Cosi and three mini donuts from the farmer’s market. -5 (They were Mac’s famous stick-o-donuts; totally not necessary except on your birthday!) You can see what I ate for lunch here! -5
Day 12: Getting back in the groove was hard! I had a non-paleo breakfast the morning after my birthday and felt SO full and gross afterward (it was a two egg breakfast with toast and hashbrows; a small diner where ordering a la carte would have been expensive). I only ate half of it. BUT STILL -5!
That night I went to my dad’s for another celebration dinner. He served pork ribs, mac and cheese and cole slaw. Thanks Dad. Lol. I also ate two chocolate chip cookies and a cupcake… like I said, #nojudging! -5
I did burn a few calories doing burpees with my dad!
Day 13: Back at work and trying to get back in the groove. My will power was low and I had creamer with my coffee. For breakfast I had bacon and scrambeld eggs with bell peppers. For lunch, a kale salad with cucumbers, avocado and chicken. As a snack, a larabar.
For dinner, I made some awesome buffalo chicken sausage over onions and peppers on bib lettuce- so good! We bought the buffalo from the farmer’s market and I think it’s really cool we know where it came from, which is right over in Culpeper, VA!
Day 14: Coffee with creamer (couldn’t kick it!), larabar, then Zumba. I had a salad club salad with a hard boiled egg for lunch and a banana in the afternoon. Yoga. For dinner, I made some preseasoned trader joes chicken, a half a sweet potato, broccoli and brussel sprouts.
Day 15: I went crazy eating ants on a log for breakfast. This is one of my favorite snacks, ever! I probably ate too much. Banana and more coconut tea. Salad club salad with a piece of trader joes chicken. CrossFit. For dinner, I had the most delicious kale salad with leftover sausage, sweet potato, and cucumbers.
- I’ve lost weight! I wasn’t going to weigh myself but this girl in my crossfit box told me she lost 9 lbs and I got curious about whether I’d lost anything! Low and behold: I’m 6.5 lbs lighter!! Crazy!!
- Despite the weight loss, I don’t feel as good as I did last week. Obviously I had tons of cheats this week and that’s probably why. I’ve also been using creamer again and I think ingesting the sugar/additive/crap first thing in the morning makes a difference.
- It gets easier. I haven’t been to the grocery store as much this last week. I made a run to Trader Joes on Monday, spent about $40 and I’m good for the week. I no longer feel like I need to go to the store everyday.
- Buying local makes a huge difference. It just tastes better! The food we got from the farmer’s market has been delicious, buffalo included and I hope to continue to shop there.
- I WANT TO KICK THE CREAMER!! I feel like a slave to it. 🙁
- I want to meal prep! I did a mini prep on Tuesday night and it’s been so great to just open containers, heat food, and eat! I need to establish a system for doing this more often (I feel like I say that a lot)!
- On that same note, I’m looking forward to exploring some non-egg breakfasts! I’m so over eggs!
Tips for you:
- Don’t cheat. Stay on track 100 percent if you can. Cheating once makes cheating a second, third and fourth time that much easier. It’s also likely you’ll crave the bad crap again.
- Explore eggless paleo breakfasts! Carrots ‘n’ cake just posted about this! I’m so over eggs.
- Get some Larabars, they’re a lifesaver. But only buy a few at a time- cause you will want to devour them! Apple pie is my favorite flavor but I also like the cherry and cashew cookie flavors.
Did you decide to start a Fall paleo challenge too?
What have you been eating lately? Do you buy locally?
What are your favorite paleo recipes?